Eyelash Extension Aftercare
In general, to maintain your new look and extend the life of your lashes, follow these simple guidelines:
Within the First 24-48 Hours
- Avoid exposing your lash extensions to water, heat, humidity and friction.
- Avoid swimming, spa and facial treatments for 48 hours after lash application.
- If you must shower, keep it brief to limit the exposure to steam and do not wet your lashes.
- Use a washcloth to cleanse your face without getting the lashes wet.
- Do not apply any eye cosmetics or skin care products to your lashes or eye area.
- Try to sleep on your back the first 2 nights to ensure that your lashes do not become tangled while the adhesive is in its drying stage. Consider purchasing a Beauty Metropolis Eye Mask to wear while sleeping.
- In the morning, use a Lash Brush to gently separate and groom your lashes. Do not use your fingers as your skin has natural oils that will break down the adhesive.
After the First 48 Hours
- Keep sauna, steam room & tanning visits to a minimum as heat and moisture may weaken the adhesive bond, resulting in premature lash extension loss.
- Avoid using oil-based skin care products on or near your lash extensions, including but not limited to cleansers, eye creams, eye serums, facial moisturizers, lotions, Vaseline and oils as these can come into contact with your lashes and dissolve the adhesive bond.
- Avoid using waterproof cosmetic products on or near your eyelashes, including waterproof mascara and eyeliner.
- Avoid products containing Glycols and Carbonates. These are classes of cosmetic ingredients that act as solvents in product formulas. Many mascaras, eyeliners and makeup removers contain these ingredients and will compromise the lash bond. Examples found in mascara and makeup removers are: Polyethylene glycols (PEG's), Propylene glycols, and Propylene carbonates. (Note: Butylene glycol is not a solvent. It is a type of wax found in mascaras and does not dissolve adhesives.)
- To protect your investment and guarantee compatibility, we offer a full line of products specially made for eyelash extensions.
- Although mascara is not necessary with your eyelashes, our specially formulated Eyelash Extension Mascara can be used sparingly on the tips. This will achieve an even more dramatic look for your lash extensions. You may also use this mascara for your lower lashes.
- Mechanical eyelash curlers can break both natural and synthetic lashes. If you'd like, a Heated Lash Curler can be used sparingly on the tips to help shape and curl lashes.
- You can use Protective Coating to preserve the look and extend the life of the eyelash extensions. Apply a thin layer from the base to the tips, once or twice per week. This coating also gives the lashes a wonderful shine!
- Cleanse your lashes and your eyelids daily to maintain healthy and beautiful lashes and lash follicles. Use Xtreme Lashes Eye Makeup Remover and Facial Cleanser along with Lash Swabs to gently remove eye makeup and mascara.
- Although they are water resistant, you can help prolong the life of your eyelash extensions by lightly dabbing with a tissue or paper towel if they get wet and after washing your face.
- Above all, be gentle with your lashes! Do not touch your lashes with your hands or rub the eyes excessively. Be especially mindful of this when you are removing eye makeup.
- The life cycle of an eyelash is 60 to 90 days. Lashes will shed naturally at the end of their life cycle and relashes will be necessary every 2 to 4 weeks to replenish these lashes.
- Eyelash extensions are ideally suited for individuals who want longer, fuller lashes without the need for much additional eye makeup. Constant application of heavy eye makeup, particularly mascara and eyeliner, may reduce the lifespan of your eyelash extensions and require more frequent touch ups.